Savoring it...

Friday, July 18, 2014


We packed Jr., as Stephen as started affectionally calling him despite my protests that it just might stick and I really prefer Stephen Gabriel, in the car last week for a spontaneous trip to visit my family in the town where I grew up, the place that I'm convinced is the best place in the world during summertime. Sadly it was a little cold but that didn't stop us from reveling in the green grass and fresh air and crystal clear lake views. We also were able to go out alone a couple times while my mom watched the baby, always briefly of course but I'm convinced that a little time with just the two of us is important before I go back to work.



It didn't really make sense to make the trip since we'll be going back next week for my brother's wedding, but little Stephen is more than used to long car trips by now (move to Minnesota at 2 weeks, wedding in Detroit at 3 weeks, and now two more trips to northern Michigan at 8 and 9 weeks) and he doesn't seem to mind (as long as we have his tunes). 



I'm really trying to ignore the fact that each day that passes brings me closer to the inevitable day in August that I go back to work (officially, since I've already been back for quite a few days of orientation and training) and instead savor each day that I get to spend with the little guy. It's hard though, because each moment seems so fleeting and every day he grows and changes...I just hate the thought of missing any of it.


One of the things that makes me feel the saddest is thinking of him waking up at night without me there. As an ER physician, I'll be doing lots and lots of late evening and night shifts (next month is a lighter month and 16 of my shifts are late evenings or nights). Last night when he woke up at 3 a.m. I snuggled him close, his head fitting perfectly in the crook of my neck, and tried not to think about the nights at 3 a.m. when I won't be home.


And he 'turned' two months this week! We go for his check up today and I'm waiting anxiously to here how much he's grown...he's definitely come a long, long way from the fragile 6 pound, 3 ouncer that we brought home (I'm pretty sure that he's jumped at least three curves on the growth chart). He's so interactive lately, looks right into our eyes and smiles, and I'm loving every bit of it.


I promised myself that I would never do posts on "mom" style (it just sounds so old) but the truth is, lots of things do change...one of which is gravitating toward more practical shoes that aren't too 'mom-ish' ha. These have been quintessential to my summer uniform.


And the top I'm wearing in this post is from J. Crew Factory, another great postpartum one. It's currently on clearance here.


That makes seven, so I'm linking up with Jen.

4 comments:

  1. Those are such adorable pictures! And I can imagine it hurts thinking about leaving him during the night- Jen's post about her son being alone in the NICU made me tear up! I'm sure God will hold him extra close when you're away.
    And thanks for the tip about the JCrew sale the other day- I was trying to stay on a shopping fast but did find some really cheap things that will work postpartum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh I don't think there is anything longer feeling than that mn to detroit road trip. I have to say as another mn family that drives to the UP several times a year we started when the kids were babies and now have 5 ages 8 to 7 months and they do excellent- they are all so used to it it's never been a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks so happy in his car seat! Loving your thoughts on motherhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is adorable! I love the name preferences from mom and dad too! Our youngest was "not going to have a nickname!" But he's now a year and a half and called Huddy (short for Hudson) more often than anything else! Ha! I am glad he is a car seat champ, ours weren't and the two UP camping trips we took when they were young made that 5 hour drive much, much longer!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to leave a comment! Your lovely comments really make my day :) I appreciate and enjoy every comment even though I don't always have time to reply.

(I also often reply via email, unless you are a no-reply blogger).