No bad days.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012


That's what I’m telling myself today. I’m just getting home from the hospital after a loooooong, sort of painful day. I woke up at 5 a.m. with the realization that I forgot to do a required online quiz (due at midnight last night).  At 6 a.m., I got to the OB floor and realized that I had literally just missed the delivery of a patient I took care of yesterday (I’m nearing the end of my hospital weeks and still 3 deliveries short).  
Mid-morning, I discovered that I had forgotten my pager when I was called on the floor by the medical school office looking for me (medical school rule #1: always wear your pager). My husband is off today and so he brought me my pager; when I ran down to get it he looked at me and said “You’re having a bad day aren’t you?” I defensively answered “Um, no!” and then after thinking about it for two seconds admitted that I sort of was (he knows me too well).

I also found out today that I have to be at a clinic a two hour drive away all day Thursday, then take night call when I get back and that I have extra evening lectures tomorrow night and all morning Saturday. Later today, I got paged in the middle of a delivery that I was late for a trauma/surgery lecture which we this evening. And all day I was panicky that I wouldn’t make it home in time to talk to my brother before he leaves for Afghanistan tomorrow.

So, to end my rambling (complaining), today wasn’t the best. But putting it into perspective, today wasn’t a bad day. I got to help bring a new life into the world, come home to my ever patient husband, Skype with my brother before he leaves tomorrow, and finally get into my warm and cozy bed. Not a bad day.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there.... Med school is tough. But you'll get through it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to leave a comment! Your lovely comments really make my day :) I appreciate and enjoy every comment even though I don't always have time to reply.

(I also often reply via email, unless you are a no-reply blogger).