7 Quick Takes Friday

Friday, January 4, 2013

1. This was my last week of break and I had all sorts of plans to do some soul-searching and decide what I want to do with the rest of my life (a.k.a. what specialty I should choose). Instead I spent it doing really productive things like teaching my sisters how to make the perfect sock bun (which my mom thinks look straight out of Little House on the Prairie...I'm still trying to convince her that they're in style):


Sister 1


Sister 2


2. And when I wasn't make sock buns, I was thrifting with my mom (found some great things from Ann Taylor, Fossil, and White House Black Market) or shopping at Target. I found some serious amazing-ness at Target, like this J. Crew look-a-like polka dot shirt (here are the rest of my Target finds).



3. I forgot how cold the winters get up here but driving home from my parents' house on New Year's Day was a vivid reminder. Yes that says 2 degrees. And trust me, it felt much colder with the wind chill (can we go back to Costa Rica?)


4. The crowning moment of my week was when I found the exact kitchenaid mixer I wanted (but didn't get) for our wedding for $150 off!! I think that God wanted me to have this mixer because I initially found it on sale at Target but only the display model was left (which I tried to buy but found out it had no cord or mixing capability). The next day, I got a Groupon in my email for the same mixer and I was ecstatic...I guess this is what happens after you get married, a Kitchenaid can completely make your week (or month)... Anyways, I love its almond cream color, and maybe it'll motivate me (or Stephen) to bake more often?


141769-kitchen-aid-mixer-artizan-almond-cream-new.jpg
5. Inspired by my lack of success in the kitchen (understatement) my mom gave us a cookbook called "Saving Dinner." I made two recipes this week and they were both delicious and easy enough for me to successfully make them without messing up the ingredients or setting off the smoke detectors again (although I did burn my arm...ouch). I'll share the recipes soon!

Baked Rigatoni:

Red Beans and Rice with sausage:

6. I had many, many things on my to-do list over Christmas break (namely, doing every activity that I never have time for now that I'm in medical school) and most of the things are still on the list. I did get to go ice skating though. My sister and I figure skated for years and every time I go, I realize how much I miss it.



7. On Sunday I'll be going to a clinical site about an hour and a half away for three weeks of my pediatrics rotation (we stay in a house owned by the hospital). I'm doing a Rural Medicine Program through my medical school which has been great because I've been able to live near my family for the first time in a long time. It's also neat to do my clinical rotations in the small city where I grew up, and we have a lot of opportunities since there are only a few medical students here. However, I have to admit I have been dreading the rural away rotations since I'll be apart from Stephen. Hoping that the three weeks goes by quickly and I learn lots...

Linking up with 7 Quick Takes Friday here.

7 comments:

  1. I love that your school does a rural medicine speciality! How are you feeling about dealing with littles for 3 weeks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I don't think I'll go into peds, I'm excited about the rotation :) I love kids, although I think that sick kids will make me sad. And the rural medicine track is one of the reasons I chose my school, just sad that I have to be away from my hubby!

      Delete
  2. I'm jealous of your sock bun, Erika!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I think sock buns are one of the greatest ideas ever :) Just wish it was as easy to do them in my hair as it is to do them in my sisters' hair!

      Delete
  3. I've had my eye on that Saving Dinner cookbook for a while; the red beans and rice look so delish! Good luck with your new rotation, Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo that mixer looks amazing! I hope your rotation goes well! Have a good weekend, Erika! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh How I miss skating :( I can not remember the last time I went.....I probably won't remember how!!!

    KitchenAid mixers need to be in every person's kitchen! I have that same color :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to leave a comment! Your lovely comments really make my day :) I appreciate and enjoy every comment even though I don't always have time to reply.

(I also often reply via email, unless you are a no-reply blogger).