Linking up with Hallie for Five Favorites:
1. The flying baby: Lest you think that I am exaggerating by the title, let me assure you that I am not. Right now I can absolutely not imagine any crazier delivery than the one that happened yesterday. The laboring mom was a resident patient, and since she had already undergone two successful vaginal deliveries, the residents let me do the delivery pretty much solo. Normally when I deliver the resident patients, the chief resident stands next to me in case of emergency, but like I said this one was just so 'easy' that they deemed it unnecessary. The mom's first big push let me mostly but not completely deliver the baby's head, and then came the second push. The baby shot out like a cannonball with momentum that I never dreamed any newly emerging baby could have. I somehow managed to catch the baby mid-air (and off to the side) and stood in complete shock holding the slippery new babe safely in my arms, while the watching nurses/resident/attending doc let out a huge gasp and then collective sigh of relief. The attending doc claimed that he has never seen a baby fly out so fast. I am now known as the med-student-who-caught-the-flying-baby (so thankful it's not the-med-student-who-dropped-the-flying-baby). Craziest.delivery.ever.
2. Loving your work: I realized yesterday that while I did not feel at all like getting out of bed at 5:30 a.m. (it was painful), the day just got better and better during my shift on labor and delivery. I was contemplating driving home how great it is to love your work, and how important it is to choose a profession that makes getting up in the morning worth it and each day meaningful (especially when that profession requires 80 hour work weeks, night call, and 24 hour shifts).
3. This outfit: Of course it's a cheater since I'm in scrubs every day here (outfit pics taken before I left for St. Louis). I wore this for Stephen and I's last dinner date: floral scarf from Zara, a bright blazer from J. Crew, my favorite shoes, and trusty pixie pants from J. Crew Factory (which now come in maternity from the retail store...and I do not not need them, I promise).
4. Our anniversary: Our first anniversary is August 31, but since we won't be together next weekend, we are going to celebrate this weekend when Stephen visits. I had no idea what to get him for an anniversary gift, but I'm pretty excited on what I found (not sharing yet in the off chance that he reads this post...)
5. Stephen coming to visit this weekend: Enough said.
Blazer: J. Crew
Tunic: Splendid via 6pm.com
Ponte pants: J. Crew Factory
Shoes: same as always from Madewell