The lovely Stephanie of Captive the Heart and Natalie at Here I am, the Handmaid of the Lord both graciously nominated me for a Liebster Award last week! Here's the scoop:
My 11 Facts:
1. I was a nurse in an inner city Emergency Department (in a scary place that starts with D and ends with T) for two years before I went to medical school. While I was living there, my roommate and I had to find a new apartment because a homicide happened in our first apartment building. Ok, this was depressing first fact. Sorry.
2. I double majored in Spanish and spent part of a summer in Mexico. I'm a wannabee Latina (I love Latin American culture). Also, Our Lady of Guadalupe is my favorite.
3. I went to Haiti with a relief team shortly after the earthquake in 2010, and have been back 4 times since. There's a huge place in my heart for Haiti, and I think about the time I spent working there almost every day.
4. I am the oldest of eight kiddos. I LOVE big families :)
5. I have an unhealthy obsession with J. Crew (ok, that was probably obv.) although I try to get my Crew fix on super sale, from the outlet, or thrifted via Ebay or J. Crew Aficionada blog sales.
6. I also have an unhealthy obsession with The Bachelor. Total trash TV I know, and I just can't resist it.
7. I once drove away from a gas station with the gas pump still in my car. Not my proudest moment.
8. I have a gazillion scarves of all colors, patterns, and warmths, and from different places around the world.
9. A few years ago, I got stung by a sting ray while volunteering at an orphanage in Ecuador. It was one of the scarier experiences of my life, and I ended up in the hospital for some complications from the sting when I got back to the U.S. The nurses kept telling my family how lucky I was to be alive since apparently a sting ray killed Steve Erwin (the Crocodile hunter).
10. I absolutely cannot watch scary movies. And I fall asleep in action movies (ask Stephen). So that pretty much only leaves romantic movies and comedies (but only the clean humor ones). My poor hubby...
11. My secret dream is to be a stay-at-home momma and a style/fashion blogger on the side. But God had other plans and I will be graduating with my M.D. in 1 year, 2 months (but who's counting?)
Questions from Stephanie at Captive the Heart
1. I collect...scarves (see #8 above).
2. Tell me your favorite Disney movie. Hands down, Beauty and the Beast. I love that Belle is smart and strong, and her obsession with reading.
3. What's the last book you read? Did you like it? Kind of sad, but my OB textbook. I don't normally read textbooks (just bits and pieces as I'm studying) but I loved OB-GYN so much that I read pretty much all of the textbook. I did like it, although I did not agree with some of their presentation of ethical issues...
4. In case we ever meet in real life and you come over to my house, how do you take your coffee? Black :) Unless I'm at Starbucks, then it's a soy latte.
5. Everyone has a few...what trend do you totally regret following? Hmmm...several in high school. Old navy fleece vests, the poncho, glitter Airwalk shoes...Shudder.
6. Your flower of choice? It's so hard to pick one! Since I was a little girl, I've loved forget-me-nots. Now, I'd have to say irises and tiger lilies. Oh, and peonies!
7. Name something you've always wanted to learn. To knit! I learned the basic stitch last year but would love to learn more (and to actually finish knitting something).
8. Are you more head or more heart? I've always been more heart although sadly, medical school has made me a little more head. I guess a balance is best?
9. How's Lent going for you so far? Um...could be better. Let's just say that I'm glad we still have some time left. I definitely have good things to work on this Lent, but it's never easy...
10. What social or political issue are you most passionate about? Gosh, there are so many! One that I'm passionate about is NFP though. The Church's teaching on marriage and family is so beautiful, and I truly believe that NFP is wonderful for a marriage. We use the Marquette Method (look it up if you are interested!)
11. What saint has had your back the most? Definitely St. Gianna. She's such a beautiful example of a wife, momma, and physician.
Questions from Natalie G. at Here I am, the Handmaid of the Lord:
1. Who is your favorite saint? St. Gianna :)
2. What time, if any, do you have to stop consuming caffeine? I am actually a stickler on this one! I learned in nursing school to stop drinking caffeine 6 hours before bedtime, and I really try to do this.
3. How often do you change your sheets? Ha. Well, it should be every week. But every two...maybe three weeks. I really need to work on this.
4. Show me a picture of your favorite mug. Original, I know. But it's simple, huge, and I love it.
5. How do you like your eggs? Scrambled with lots of veggies (mushrooms!) and swiss cheese.
6. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be? I've been to Rome once, but I really want to go back with my hubby (he's never been) and show him the beauty of the Church there.
7. Do you use pens or pencils? I much prefer pencils (the mechanical ones!) especially for taking notes.
8. With five words or less, why do you love the Catholic Church? Only 5? Ok...I love that we're united in Christ & the Eucharist (almost made it in 5).
9. Do you prefer shorts or pants to bed? Pants in the winter, shorts in the summer.
10. What three websites are your biggest time wasters? Pinterest and various style blogs (Kendi Everyday and J. Crew Aficionadas are two of my favorites).
11. What is your favorite beverage? Diet Coke. I tried to stop drinking it once after reading a study on how bad it is, but I just.can't.stop.
Ok, so I am nominating the lovely blogs below! If you want to participate (and I won't be one bit offended if you can't/forget/don't have time) here are the questions:
1. Best trip ever:
2. Favorite saint and why:
3. Fav recipe:
4. Your wedding colors and flowers (potential, if you're not married yet):
5. Article of clothing that you can't live without:
6. Favorite blog for your morning coffee read:
7. Polka dots or stripes?
8. Top favorite mass song:
9. If you could meet anyone, who would it be:
10. Most essential beauty item:
11. Why you started blogging: