1. I did an interview for Accepted.com last week (you can read it here). It was fun, and a good opportunity to think about why I went to medical school and how my faith and marriage has supported me through it...
2. It's my sweet little nephew's first birthday today...it's hard to believe that he was just a little over a month old at our wedding last year!
3. I got highlights in my hair a couple weeks ago and I'm still getting used to them. My natural hair color is basically the darkest shade of brown that exists before black so I was a little nervous that they would end up skunk-like. I was pleasantly surprised though; they blend into my hair so well that I'm not sure how much you can see them in this picture, but my hair is definitely lighter and more summer-y...
What a moment.
5. And for my other accomplishment in medical school this week, I sutured a pig's foot. My suturing has come a long way since first year of med school (fortunately). I did start school knowing how to do basic interrupted sutures from my time in Haiti, but I feel much more comfortable with them now. This week we practiced vertical and horizontal mattress sutures, subcuticular sutures (the one the surgeons here always use), and this weird "boomerang" suture used to close up irregular wounds. I kind of love suturing, and so maybe plastics is in my future? Just kidding.
6. A good close friend of our family's college-age son made this video and just won a national pro-life contest. Disclaimer before you watch that it made me cry like a baby. I think that the video does a good job of showing the pain that many post-abortive women face, something that I've seen firsthand during my psych and family med rotations.
7. If you've been following the Bachelorette, you are familiar with Zak W., who has become my favorite candidate since he talked about discerning the priesthood. He is hilarious, quirky, and good-looking and basically I am convinced that when Desiree chooses Brooks over him, he is prime husband material for my sister:
Stephen and I are both off this weekend (yay!) and we are planning on spending time at my parents' camp on the lake. Happy Friday!