Friday Quick Takes

Friday, February 22, 2013

As always, joining Jen.

1. In case you didn't believe me this week when I said that we had the snowstorm-to-end-all-snowstorms, this is our porch. The little green thing is the top of the umbrella on the summer table from when we moved in...

 
2. And this is from our local newspaper; the picture was taken down the street from us:
 
Source

3. I think it can be a little obnoxious when people post pictures of flowers from their significant other on Facebook (guilty) but here it is anyways: Valentine's flowers from Stephen, still going strong last night. Could they be any more gorgeous? Pink lilies are my favorite :)


4. I have a nasty sore throat, I'm sure from one of the little munchkins on my pediatrics rotation. We had multiple cases of strep throat last week, so I made sure to inform Stephen that I did not have signs of strep throat including petechiae on my palate, cervical lymphadenopathy, or fever. To which he exclaimed, "That's the best news I've heard all day!"

The bottle below is Umcka (apparently the scientific name is Pellargonium sidoides) and it's a natural remedy. Now, I may talk down natural remedies and herbal supplements, but when I get sick I am willing to try almost anything. This is my second bottle of the stuff during this pediatrics rotation (I actually found an NIH study on it's merits). 
 
5. My next rotation is surgery, and I had a nightmare about it two nights ago (which probably does not bode well for me since I don't actually start the rotation for 10 more days). It was something about me not scrubbing in right, ruining my sterile gloves, and the attending surgeon getting upset. I think I'd rather stick with the sick kiddos (and funny stories) on pediatrics....
 

6. I made sloppy joes for the hubs last night. This was my second attempt; my first I used cans of Manwhich (a.k.a. pre-made sloppy joe sauce) and Stephen was very polite about it but definitely not a fan. This time I used his mom's recipe, which is super easy and really delicious: 1 lb of ground beef browned with 1/2 cup of celery and 1 small onion, then you add 1/4 tsp of ground yellow mustard and squirt in as much ketchup as you need to make it moist.

I told Stephen to eat up since today is meatless. I always feel guilty about Fridays in Lent because I have no problem whatsoever not eating meat, but Stephen is always ravenous by the end of the day (he once ate 1/2 a pan of spinach lasagna on a Friday during Lent).


7. For my style post this week, I remixed the black polka dot dress for work that I wore last Sunday. I think I could wear this dress every day...
 
Stephen and I are hoping to make it to the fish fry, Stations of the Cross, and Praise and Worship at one of the local churches tonight. Happy second Friday of Lent!

7 comments:

  1. Mercy! That snow! Your flowers are gorgeous, and I'm always looking for non-medicine medicine--thanks for introducing me to this one! Have a good weekend, Erika =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow is still falling here today! We are buried haha :) Have a great weekend too!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and in other news, Erika, I've nominated you for a Liebster Award! Check it out here:

      http://captivetheheart.blogspot.com/2013/02/just-in-time-for-oscar-night.html

      Delete
  2. Oh my! The snow! My measly little 10 inches looks pretty pathetic now!

    I do peds in April so I'm gong to have to stock up on that Umcka! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow here is crazy! And 10 inches isn't pathetic :) I do recommend the Umcka haha, (you should look at the NIH study on it!). Peds is seriously a recipe for getting sick...

      Delete
  3. We're doing a fish fry tonight...much snow anxiety in our house today, but we think we can make it out. We certainly don't have as much snow as you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fish frys are so delicious! Hope you made it out with the snow :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to leave a comment! Your lovely comments really make my day :) I appreciate and enjoy every comment even though I don't always have time to reply.

(I also often reply via email, unless you are a no-reply blogger).