Valentine's Date Style

Monday, February 11, 2013

Today I'm so happy to feature this guest post by Stephanie of Captive the Heart! Keep reading for some lovely Valentine's date ideas and the stylish outfits to go with them.



When I first found Erika's blog and saw that she's a Catholic newlywed like me, I suspected we'd be kindred spirits.  As I read on about her love for tartan, polka dots, and J.Crew Style on a budget, I was sure of it.  With love in the air this month, I'm so excited to share some sweet Valentine's Day dates with you and outfits to match each one!  I love my preppy basics like cable sweaters, Bean Boots, and quilted puffers, and aimed to give them a little upgrade with pops of red and pink and a nice, healthy dose of sparkle.
 
TASTE: If you've never had a nighttime picnic, I highly recommend it.  Set down some blankets in a cozy spot and stay warm, thermos-style, with cocoa and soup (this is my favorite chicken noodle recipe).  Bring candles and portable speakers for a little magic.  By the way, I get that it's February.  You can do this inside, too--just swap out the rain boots for your toastiest slippers!  Sweater and vest (similar), J. Crew.  Jeans, Old Navy.  Boots, Hunter.  Earrings, Bauble Bar.  Blanket, L.L. Bean.
 
TWIRL: Nearly every town has a few dance studios.  Sign you and your love up for a lesson!  Look for special offerings on Groupon and Living Social.  Dancing together is definitely romantic, but it can definitely fall in the practical, life skills category, too.  Swing, ballroom, or whatever puts a kick in your step...Dress, Old Navy.  Shoes, Nordstrom.  Bracelets, Swell Caroline.  Polish, Lovie Dovie by Essie.
 
TREK: Feeling adventurous?  My husband and I love hiking and riding our bikes, and are hoping to try snowshoeing before Winter's over!  Our trips are always such a relaxing mix of quiet reflection and long talks.  Bring your camera, and trade off taking pictures along your route.  Fleece, Patagonia.  Boots, L.L. Bean.  Scarf, Target (similar).  Camera strap, Etsy.
 
If you have the time, starting or ending your date with Adoration, or even just a few minutes of prayer, is the perfect addition!
 
Are you a single lady this Valentine's?  First, let me just say that no way are these little adventures and outfits limited to the girls-with-a-beau set.  Second, and more importantly, I know the ache for love all too well.  I know the cry of your heart.  I pray this prayer (I prayed it for about four years before meeting my husband) and this song lift your soul and give you hope.
What do you think?  Share your silliest, most creative, most meaningful Valentine's gestures with Erika and I in the comments!

***

Stephanie delights in bike rides, Jane Austen, pearls, puddle jumping, The Avett Brothers, hammocks, avocados, Wes Anderson, and monograms.  She thinks colorful pants are the best pants.  Her Valentine's Day this year will most likely consist of dinner by candlelight at home with her sweet husband Andrew.  They won't mess around with dessert.  Stephanie blogs about spirituality, style, and wedding planning for Catholic brides at Captive the Heart.

3 comments:

  1. Stephanie please come be my stylist. Please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, ladies, and especially you, Erika =) Katie, you're entirely too generous in the compliment department!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to leave a comment! Your lovely comments really make my day :) I appreciate and enjoy every comment even though I don't always have time to reply.

(I also often reply via email, unless you are a no-reply blogger).