Sunday decisions...

Sunday, June 16, 2013

 
This week flew by, between the 20 hours total I spent driving (back and forth to my exam and then back and forth to my rural medicine site), the big test, and last minute decisions on my electives for next year. I was offered a spot at a top dermatology program for an elective next month, and I keep struggling over the decision. Going means postponing my obstetrics rotation in St. Louis to January, which is not ideal since it's my number one choice right now for residency if I do OB/GYN. At the same time, the derm rotation is a such a good opportunity that it's hard to pass up. I've been encouraged by a lot of people to look into derm, and while it's interesting and a perfect lifestyle for when Stephen and I have a family, I have this nagging feeling that I didn't go to medical school to become a dermatologist. The work that I did in Haiti and Ecuador was a huge influence on my decision to become a doctor, and the other specialties I'm considering, OB and ER, seem more in line with what motivated me to go to medical school in the first place (and continue when things got difficult). I have to decide by tomorrow...

Chambray/sweater/capris: J. Crew, shoes: Madewell

In other news, what I wore Sunday: the chambray shirt made a repeat appearance (I'm convinced that this shirt layers under anything and everything) with a summery pink striped sweater (I love this sweater but for some reason it's been sitting in my closet for too long) and nude shoes. The J. Crew cafe capris also made a repeat appearance, but these ones were thrifted for $15. Joining Fine Linen and Purple

Last but not least, Happy Father's Day to my wonderful dad! He is such an inspiration for me of the doctor and parent I hope to be. 




17 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about your situation, and it's so difficult! On the one side, DERM! ya know? that's a huge deal that you're offered an away rotation at a great site because you know they are interested, derm has a great lifestyle and the big bucks. and you know, you can always do things with derm that can be life changing too, it's not just zits and w/e. but then I can see the draw to ob-gyn and if that's what your heart tells you, even though it's a horrible lifestyle, at least for a while...

    I don't know what I would do :(

    probably derm haha

    let us know what you decide!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love everything about your outfit! Stripes are my fave. :) I need to find some cute capris like those!
    Good luck with your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your decision! That's a tough one!

    I love that striped sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do derm!!!!!!!!!!

    :)

    Sort kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, good luck with your decision!

    Loving the J.Crew get-up, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister is a pediatric dermatologist who also does Mose surgery, and she has the best gig. She works 2 days a week and makes way more money than her full-time ER doctor husband. I would think the hours are so much better than OB and you can still help people with skin cancer which is so prevalent and life threatening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The derm docs at MD Anderson, where I work, do some pretty awesome things! And there are still some really neat mission needs in that field as well.

    But I totally get the OB/ER options as well. I mean if I went to med school, that's what I'd be going for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck Erika....... Whatever you do, you'll find a way to give it to God's glory. :)
    Derm is a pretty slick lifestyle. But do what you want to do and what excites you for many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll remember you in prayer for your upcoming decisions, Erika! Those are never easy, but I'm sure the Lord will reveal His plans to you as you continue to seek His will! Whatever you do, you will be great!

    And, you've done work in Ecuador? If you have time, do tell me about it. I left my heart there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the outfit. Anxious to hear what you pick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute outfit Erika. Remember you have to go with what you want, not with what other people are telling you to do. If your heart is telling you OB/ER then that's what you should follow. It's a hard decision. Good luck.

    Agi:)

    vodkainfusedlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Agi! You are so right. And thanks for the advice, it definitely helped me :)

      Delete
  12. Love the pink stripes and chambray. I'll say a prayer for your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll pray for you! Although I know what a hard decision that must be. But we do need dermantolagists to look at each person from a Catholic perspective and so to look at the whole person. I have spent way too much time in derm offices but one doctor while looking at me said you are beautiful and we'll just help your acne get better. That meant a lot to me. May God give you clarity!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What did you decide??? So curious to know! I have been praying for you! Blessings, Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers, Helen! It means the world to me. I prayed the rosary on my drive back to my rural site the day that I had to make the decision and just knew that I wasn't called to be a dermatologist. So OB or ER it is! I'll be applying to both for now and then making a decision after I interview at some programs and pray about it some more. Thanks again for your prayers!

      Delete
    2. So happy to hear that! Your passion for OB is evident in your writing. I will continue to pray for you during the residency application process.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to leave a comment! Your lovely comments really make my day :) I appreciate and enjoy every comment even though I don't always have time to reply.

(I also often reply via email, unless you are a no-reply blogger).