Mad for Plaid

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I posted in Friday's Quick Takes about my newfound love for plaid. Or I should say, my renewed love for plaid. My last plaid flannel shirt was worn in 9th grade with my wide leg jeans and glitter airwalks, yes. Coolest.outfit.ever.

With the multitude of J. Crew sales happening lately, I decided to try two of their perfect shirts and see if either resolved my hunt for the perfect plaid shirt.

source
Shirt 1: Blackwatch plaid (find it here)

This shirt was the definite winner of the two for me. The pattern is a little more subtle, and the colors deep and rich. Also, the fabric is incredibly soft. It is definitely more fitted than the tartan shirt, and borderline for me in terms of gaping issues (always have this problem with button down shirts). The pattern is total class though. Love.








Shirt 2: Tartan (find it here)

This shirt has been all over over Pinterest and the blogging world. I have to admit that I didn't love it at first, but it grew on me (especially layered under cream-colored sweaters) and I decided to try it with the sale. It's a crisp cotton compared to the butter-soft fabric of the blackwatch plaid. It also runs bigger (these two shirts are both the same size) which fixed the gaping issue. But the clincher: I felt like a Christmas present in it. The pattern is just not for me.









So, I'm still on the hunt for the perfect plaid shirt. These two are both pricey of course even 25% off (goes with the 'Crew), and neither was perfect enough for me to keep. I do love the black watch though, and the tartan is a nice shirt too if you like the holiday feel to it.


3 comments:

  1. What a bummer that you didn't love these! I've had my eye on the tartan shirt for a while, too, and Christmas present-y or not, I think it's still after my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm on the hunt for some good plaid too. If only my husband weren't twice my size I'd steal the shirts from his side of the closet! Haha.

    RebeccawithanR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you looked at Old Navy? I normally don't shop there, but they have a ton of plaid shirts online (and, as always, on the cheap).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to leave a comment! Your lovely comments really make my day :) I appreciate and enjoy every comment even though I don't always have time to reply.

(I also often reply via email, unless you are a no-reply blogger).